Iowa Test of Basic Skills (ITBS)
What is the ITBS?
The Iowa Test of Basic Skills is an achievement test published by the University of Iowa. Despite its name, the ITBS is used by many states and private schools across the country.
Which grade levels are tested?
At SCS all students in grades 3-8 take the ITBS each fall.
Which academic areas are tested?
The ITBS consists of a series of subtests administered in content sections. Sections for 3rd-8th grade include:
• Vocabulary test
• Word Analysis (3rd grade, level 9 only)
• Listening (3rd grade, level 9 only)
• Reading/ Reading Comprehension
• Spelling, Capitalization, Punctuation, Usage and Expression
• Mathematics Concepts and Estimation, Problem Solving, Data Interpretation, Computation
• Social Studies
• Sources of Information (Maps, Diagrams, Reference Materials)